The Original Masonic Lodge c. 1793-1794
In 1793, Brother James Hogg, a prominent Realtor and ardent Freemason, donated a large plot of land in downtown Fayetteville to Phoenix Lodge No. 8. This land, known as St. John's square became the site of local festivals and community events. Funds were raised from the members to raise a two-story building where the current building currently sits. This building served the community in a number of capacities, including as a school, a meeting place, and a theater.
The original Lodge building survived the great fires of 1831 and 1845 but by 1849 was of such a dilapidated condition that it was deemed unsafe for use and plans were made to tear it down and completely rebuild it.